Odors affect people differently. Some can tolerate strong fragrances, while even the slightest whiff of an unpleasant odor can cause physical reactions (gagging, coughing, and headaches) in others.
It is always suggested to remove the cause of the odor as the long-term solution. For example: musty basements are usually caused by mold or mildew growth, which could be from of a water or moisture issue. Odors coming from drains can be caused by a blockage or backup in the pipes. These are things you don’t want to ignore, or leave to brew in your home. However, there are things that can be done if the source cannot be fixed or before the repair can happen.
How to remove Kitchen odors
- Be it a fish fillet, curry, or burnt toast, almost all cooking causes odors. For amazing ambiance, and to prevent your breakfast from lingering into lunch, light the all-natural Fresh Wave soy candle and place it on an open counter.
- Changed the garbage bag but odors still hanging on? Sometimes the smell is the garbage can itself. If there has been a leak in the bag, or if garbage missed the bag entirely, the best thing to do is clean the inside of the can. A quick spray of Clean + Green and wipe with a paper towel should do the trick. Extra smelly garbage can? Attach a Fresh Wave Fresh Pod to the top of the lid for continuous odor control.
- Due to the popularity of high efficiency appliances complaints of odors coming from dishwashers are on the rise. Newer dishwashers have a reservoir or holding pan, which allows water, food particles, and grease, to settle. If the dishwasher isn’t run on a daily basis the debris in this reservoir begin to breakdown and stir up quite a funk. Depending on the manufactures recommendations, running a dishwasher conditioner through the machine can breakdown the buildup and remove the lingering food particles from the internal components. To help keep odors at bay add a Dishwasher Freshener to the top rack and be greeted with a pleasant lime and green tea aroma instead.
How to remove pet odors
First and foremost please ensure the health of the pet is not causing the odor. Some medical conditions, like abscessed teeth, gum disease, and even some cancers, can be the source of the issue. If you’ve ever lived in a home with a cat you are well aware of the dreaded litter box. This necessary pet item can be a source of pungent odors in two ways:
- Soiled litter left in the box can omit odors that spread throughout your home. Even if scooped regularity the remaining litter inside the box isn’t as fresh as it once was. To combat odors spray Clean + Green Litter Box cleaner directly onto the litter inside the box after you’re done scooping. The all-natural formula will work to breakdown odors left in the box. Regardless of your litter habits, every home that has a littler box should have a container of Fresh Wave Gel beside it. This gel is a pet and people friendly odor remover and breakdowns the stink to make living with a litter box bearable.
- The odors can permeate the plastic litter box itself – if the litter box smells even when emptied its best to start fresh and replace it. To help prevent odors from building up on the plastic it is suggested to fully clean the litter box between litter changes. An enzyme based cleaner like One Step works to breakdown the biological matter. Spray it on litter boxes, creates, or cages then wipe clean (its great for cleaning pet messes on floors tool!).
How to remove odors in the laundry room
Laundry is one of those touchy subjects. Everyone has their unique philosophy when it comes to removing stains, keeping whites white, and getting clothes smelling their best. Regardless if you’re the ‘everything-in-one-load type’ or if you’re still following great-grandma Thelma’s guide to laundry … everyone can benefit from new perspectives.
Yes, we are still in the midst of the athleisure fashion trend. These sensitive, and often times expensive, articles of clothing should be treated differently than your standard cotton t-shirt. Most quick-drying, anti-microbial, or similar described clothes are usually treated with a special coating. If mishandled or miswashed this treatment will wear off. Specialty sport-specific laundry detergents, like Perwoll Active Sport, are designed to protect the fabric and include extra odour removing agents. If removing odors from clothing is an issue in your home try adding Fresh Wave Fresh Wash. It can be used with any laundry detergent and helps to rid fabrics of the more pungent sweat odors.
Related post: Air Filters for Allergies and Asthma.
Have little ones or family members with sensitive skin in your home? For a gentler approach on tough odors try Better Life Nursery Cleaner (previously known as 4am Miracle). Touted as the number 1 choice for number 2 accidents this lavender and chamomile spray works on clothes, mattresses, strollers, car seats … and anything else that happened to get in the way. It can also be used in the laundry room as clothing pre-spray to remove stubborn odors.